Freedom, system thinking, politics, science, education, economics, pirates

Wednesday, 4 February 2009

Stalin lives


Via
Devil's Kitchen and The Englishman

This article over at the Beeb.    Alan Maryon Davis (left) of Bodymatters and the band Instant Sunshine,  says "I see an increasing acceptance that we, all of us, need not only more information and guidance from government, but also more legislation to save us from ourselves."

We don't need legisltion to save us from ourselves. I am my own responsibility. I appreciate some education and advice on things that may or may not be a good idea, but to force me to eat or not eat certain foods is ridiculous. Tax unhealthy behaviour to fund the health system that picks up the bill for it, fine. Pass legislation that protect others from my behaviour, certainly. But leave me my rights and freedom to choose, however bad you think my choices are. 


My comment on the article at the Beeb (but they don't publish it):
"Let's ban everythinjg that could be harmful: Smoking, alcohol, fat, meat, crossing the road, cars, worrying, coffee, pubs, knives, metal, electricity, voting, gas, learning, carpet, shoe polish, petrol, catheters, oil, solvents, kettles, breathing, war, cleaning products, needles, pressurised gases, boilers, paint, any source of combustion, fun, ladders, trees, stairs, donkeys, dogs, food processors, cats, hats, bicycles, sex, anything that could fit in a child's mouth, lightbulbs, chocolate, not feeling my balls every 10 minutes, running, paracetamol, writing, asprin, computers, glass, ceramics, roads, shops, factories, the sea, sleeping, envelopes, lifts, biscuits, cookers, phones, radios, tvs, books, coal, trains, clocks, cows, socks, hats, insects, any plant with thorns, irons, guitars, trousers, tools, anti-depressants, defibrillators, paper, scissors, elbows, swiming pools, tea, talking, houses, libraries, fingers, coffins, stinging nettles, music, airplanes, plastic, arguing, rust, kerbs, bells, buckets, boxes, handles, pumps, sweets, apple seeds, rabbits, treadmills..."





1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on this Mark.

    Maryon Davies should be skinned and made into tobacco pouches.

    ReplyDelete